Mesozoic Era 2: Jurassic Period – Dinosaurs Dominate
- The Jurassic begins with extinction events linked to volcanic activity in what is now the Atlantic Ocean.
- Other groups are wiped out, allowing the dinosaurs to dominate.
- The first birds evolve from a branch of carnivorous dinosaurs that includesVelociraptors and Tyrannosaurus rex.
- Pangea breaks apart, with a narrow Atlantic Ocean separating North America from Africa and South America.
Facts, Debates & Trivia
- The Jurassic Period is named after the Jura Mountains on the Swiss-French border.
- The climate is mainly warm.
- Towards the end of the Jurassic, much of the world is lush and tropical.
201.3 – 145.0 million years ago
(56.3 million years)
Where have you reached on the trail?