Hadean Eon – The Newborn Earth
- The Earth forms through accretion (rubble from the Solar System clumping together).
- Initially, its surface is molten.
- As Earth cools, minerals separate based on density to create the crust, mantle and core.
- The Moon forms, most likely through a collision betweenEarth and a body the size of Mars, 4,500 million years ago.
- Earth becomes covered in water.
Facts, Debates & Trivia
- The eon is named after Hades, god of the Underworld, because of the hellish conditions.
- We don’t know how or when Earth acquires its water. It might come from impacts by icy comets or be ‘outgassed’ from water held internally.
- Just like Earth, Mars also acquires water during this time.
- The newborn Earth is a hostile environment!
- Temperatures are scorching hot from the accretion process and heating from radioactive elements.
- There are high radiation levels.
- Earth has frequent collisions with other bodies in the Solar System.
4,600-4,000 million years ago (600 million years)
Where have you reached on the trail?